Monday 17 July 2017

Term 2 Summary and Next Steps for Term 3

Term 2:

Some reflections I have made throughout the term.

Link to Target Group Planning Doc

What teacher practice made an impact on my writers writing?

  • Short sharp lessons of 10-15 minutes
  • Gathering vocab to use in writing and use to help with ideas
  • Shared planning 
  • Writing progressions helped with a focus/goal and then accountability in including this in their writing
  • Reading to improve knowledge before writing
  • Reading to unpack writing techniques
  • Variety
Where to next?
  • Continue with what works above. Anne suggested to not rush onto the next thing all of the time. Embed and build confidence in the boys feelings towards writing. Work towards their independence and less reliance on teacher support.
  • Sentence Structure work: This is a need identified through e-asttle and observations in class. The question is, how do I tweak my current practice or develop new strategies for teaching this as I have taught it a lot over the years. The kids have also been taught this a lot over the years so why hasn't it sunk in yet?
  • I do think I haven't explored the link between reading and writing in my previous years. This is in terms of identifying sentence structures in others writing and pulling this out of texts we read. My teaching has relied upon my modelling and then the kids practicing the techniques. I have seen the impact reading has had on ideas, so now I think I need to translate this into improving the kids sentence structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment