Monday 17 July 2017

Gaining Independence

So we have been repeating the process in term 3 of preloading, gathering key words and phrases, planning together and then writing in small bursts. This has all been modelled and led by myself with students input slowly increasing. My target students are however still very reliant on me as a safety net. 

So my next step as discussed with Anne is to slowly phase myself out of the process and scaffold the boys into being able to do each of these steps by themselves. I have introduced reciprocal writing into some lessons. One student leads the process and follows a script which includes prompts for what the boys need to do throughout the lesson. I am still there for support but mostly as a member of the group doing as I am directed.

The first session I tried this and I had to step in a lot for behavioural reminders, as it was a bit strange for the group to be led by one of their own. When it came to the task though (reading and recording vocab) the boys did this easily as we have had a lot of practice.

In the second session things ran a bit more smoothly as I introduced sharing tokens (4 each) that were used when someone had something to share or say. I had introduced this earlier in the day. This allowed the session being led by a student to flow nicely and the boys all completed the task. Some said we could do that by ourselves, I don't really need someone to tell me. Others said that they liked hearing others words and ideas so wouldn't want to do this on their own yet.

This was all pleasing to hear as it shows that some of the boys are getting how to record ideas and use this to write. 

One of the boys just does it by himself now which is great. He thrives on factual pieces so I am interested to see if he can translate this to more creative types of writing.


What did I do? 
- I implemented a reciprocal writing process to help create independence in the boys writing
What impact did this have? 
- It allowed the boys to go through the process on their own and believe that they are capable of doing it without me.
Where to next?
- Some of the boys know how to write with quality in small bursts, but forget about quality and our learning or ??? when writing independently.
- Create an environment or motivation to want to think carefully about how they write every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment